Why does the modern-day Church seem so weak and anemic? The answer is simple: the Church has forfeited its true source of power – the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit. The power of the Church is not found in its organization, individual ministries, or in the personalities involved in the Church. While all of these may be important, the only, true and lasting source of power for the Church is the power of the Holy Spirit.
In fact, after He had been raised from the dead and just prior to His ascension back to heaven, Jesus told His disciples that they were not to do anything until the Spirit of God had come in His fullness (Acts 1:4). Further, Jesus went on to say that when the Holy Spirit came they would receive power to be His witnesses (Acts 1:8). In other words, we cannot do anything apart from the Spirit; BUT, once the Spirit came they could not help but be empowered for service.
We need power as individuals and as the Church. The power of the Holy Spirit:
- Gives us new birth, John 3:3
- Enables us to have produced in us what may be called the Character of Christ, Galatians 5:16-26.
- The Spirit also empowers us in our spiritual giftings, 1 Corinthians 12 & 14.
- The Spirit of God also enables us to wield the sword of truth, which is the Bible, Ephesians 6:17.
We are called to walk in the Spirit. Further, we are called to be “intoxicated” by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:18). Just as a drunkard comes under the control of strong drink so, too, the believer must come under the control of the Holy Spirit. We are to be filled with the Spirit.
How is the possible?
- We must recognize we already are filled with the Spirit, Romans 8:23; Ephesians 4:30.
- We must, however, respond obediently to the promptings of the Spirit.
- We must be unafraid of what happens when the Spirit of God loves in great power.
- We must not quench or cut off the work of the Holy Spirit, 1 Thessalonians 5:19.
- We must not grieve the Person of the Spirit, Ephesians 4:30.
- We must pray for God to fill us – to control us – by the Holy Spirit.
The only way for us to experience joy in the Lord and revival in the Church is for the Holy Spirit to move and work in each us individually and in all of us as a Church. Let us pray for a new and fresh anointing of the Spirit of God that will enable us to live and love for the Lord Jesus Christ.