Here’s a list of frequently asked questions. If you have a question that we have failed to answer, please give us a call at 615-228-2546.
How do I need to dress? IBC has a “come as you are” dress code. Dress comfortably! You will see some in suits and ties, and others in jeans and t-shirts. Don’t worry about what you wear, just come and experience the difference Christ can make in your life!
What is your pastor like? Our lead pastor, Dr. Kevin Shrum, is dynamic, energetic, and passionate about the Word of God. His prayerful leadership provides direction, vision, and wisdom for Inglewood Baptist Church.
How do I know which Sunday morning Bible study to attend? We have classes for all age levels – from birth to senior adults – all with caring, knowledgable individuals who have a desire to teach the Word. Stop by our Welcome Center to find the class that best fits you.
What kind of church is Inglewood? Inglewood is a friendly, welcoming fellowship with a commitment to meeting the needs of people through worship, discipleship, and service by sharing the Gospel at every point, with every person, and in every place.
What are your office hours? Our offices are open Monday – Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Is your building handicap accessible? Yes! We have a ramp connected to our rear parking lot that is wheelchair friendly, and our church has an elevator with access to all levels of our building.
Do you have a bus or van ministry? Yes! However, we currently only have van transportation for our Sunday morning service. Due to time constraints, we must limit our pickup area to the 37216 zip code. If you need a ride and you live within this area, call or email the church to arrange a ride.
What’s a brief history of your church?
Inglewood Baptist Church (IBC) is one of the most vibrant, versatile, and eclectic body of believers that exists in the city of Nashville. Established in 1923 at a small home on Shelton Avenue with a membership of thirty believers, Inglewood has had a rich history over the years. In the late 1920’s the congregation started meeting at its current location (3901 Gallatin Road) in what was called the Basement Church (a basement auditorium on the lot where Inglewood’s present auditorium is located). Slowly, but surely, Inglewood Baptist Church was being built – one soul at a time, one brick at a time. Under the leadership of Dr. Kevin Shrum (IBC’s 7th and current pastor), Inglewood Baptist Church has developed a renewed vision of outreach and growth, both to the community and within the membership itself.
- First meeting of Inglewood Baptist Church – November 18, 1923
- Inglewood Baptist Church officially “called to order” – March 18, 1924
- Began meeting in the “basement church” – June 22, 1924
- Current auditorium completed – 1948
- Second and third floor educational facilities completed – 1952
- Four story educational complex completed – 1955
- Allegro School of Music instituted – 1997
- $1.4 million renovation project begun – 1998
- Renovation debt paid in full – April 2009
- Youth Building renovation completed – Summer 2016
IBC’s Pastors Through the Years:
- Rev. William McMurray (1926-1929)
- Rev. Rufus Beckett (1929-1942)
- Rev. J. Harold Stephens (1942-1962)
- Rev. James D. Hopkins (1963-1980)
- Rev. Kerney L. Bailey (1981-1994)
- Dr. Kevin L. Shrum (1995 – present)